TREKKING, HIKING AND ROUTES IN PICOS DE EUROPA
Enjoy in the mountains with our selection of hiking trails
We want you to come, enjoy our inn, take advantage of your getaway and, above all, we want you to know our surroundings and discover the most spectacular routes to walk in the mountains.
With the help of an expert mountaineer from the area we have created a selection of routes in Peaks of Europeso that, regardless of your experience, you choose the mountain route that best suits you. Among our routes you will find proposals for all tastes, difficulties and time available to carry it out.
5 TREKKING ROUTES IN PICOS DE EUROPA + AN EXCLUSIVE MAP OF THE POSADA PEÑAS ARRIBA
5 ROUTES TO ENJOY IN PICOS DE EUROPA
ROUTE 1: PORTS OF EDES
Difficulty of the route: high.
Estimated time round trip: 4 hours 30 minutes
Distance: 9km. with a difference of 910 meters
We have to take the beginning of the route from the top of the village. We start between meadows, apple trees and chestnut trees. The path follows a forest track to cross a magnificent oak tree. It is quite outstanding especially in its final section, where the arboreal vegetation gives way to the high mountain pastures and bushes.
This last section is the most difficult because of its high slope. You reach the incomparable Edes, which dominates the entire valley.
ROUTE 2: MINING ROADS
Difficulty of the route: High mountain
Estimated time 8 hours 30 minutes round trip.
Distance: 7 km of ascent and others of descent with great unevenness of 1770 meters.
Suitable only for experienced mountaineers, as we are already in the domain of the angular limestone.
The road runs parallel to the Lon river, crossing meadows and oak groves along a forest track. When leaving the forest, in a clear area, between ferns, we leave the main track continuing to the right (signal Canal de las Arredondas) by another track less traveled, the old mining road. Here you can see the old remains of mining quarries.
The track, after crossing the River Lon, narrows and is erased as it rises up the channel. As we ascend by its stony rocky we will find remains of walls, entrances to mining galleries. It is very important to be aware of the risks involved in ascending with slopes, where fog or sudden changes of time can occur in the 6 hours of the climb.
ROUTE 3: LON – BREZ CIRCUIT
Difficulty of the route: easy
Estimated time: 3 hours
Distance of 6,9 km and a difference of 390 meters
Lovely way to take advantage of the old road between the villages of Lon and Brez.
Part also along the road that ascends parallel to the Lon river until reaching the limit with the rock. Here we always follow the forest trail that leads us to the village of Brez on the high side, next to the church. Once in Brez, we have to cross the village to the lower part of it and look for the track that between meadows allows us to return to Lon.
ROUTE 4: TOWNS OF CAMALEÑO
Difficulty of the route: Medium.
Estimated time: 4 hours 30 minutes
Distance: 12,3 km with 360 meters of rise slope and 360 of descent.
Impressive path of magnificent views first towards the valley and later towards the Peaks. We start from Lon by the road that joins this town with Brez and later with Tanarrio by the road that unites the two towns.
After a kilometer along the road that leads down to Camaleño, we will find a track that descends to the right and that unites us with Tanarrio. From this village we ascend the road to Mogrovejo. After touring this medieval village we descend to the village of Los Llanos.
Here we pass by the old stone bridge and right opposite part of the path that to the middle slope of Peña Subiedes goes down to the town of Camaleño. Here we look for the road that leads to the town of San Pelayo and ascend along the road the last kilometer and a half to the Hotel Peñas Arriba.
ROUTE 5: SANTO TORIBIO ROUTE
Difficulty of the route. Easy.
Estimated time. 3 hours 30 minutes round trip.
Distance: 9.5 km with a difference of 160 meters of descent and 300 months of climb.
Descend to the town of San Pelayo by the road. After passing a carpentry ship, a path is opened on the left that will take us to Beares. After this small town one should head to the road of Potes C 185 and cross it, observing a rural road that ascends to the town of Congarna, which has to be taken.
From Congarna you climb a concrete track to the Hermitage of San Miguel, with a privileged view of the Picos de Europa. From here, about 500 meters along the road take us to the Monastery of Santo Toribio.
RECOMMENDATIONS TO BE FOLLOWED TO ENJOY THESE ROUTES IN PICOS DE EUROPA SAFELY
1. Choose the route by being honest with ourselves, not to face an excessive effort for our abilities.
2. From the 120 – 1300 meters of altitude the terrain is rocky in general with many loose stones. Trekking boot shoes are the best thing for our feet, as well as a warm clothing. Adequate protection against the sun must also be worn.
3. In high areas, weather changes abruptly at times. Before leaving, you must inform one of the weather forecast. In case you are surprised by a storm or fog closed, it is advisable to put on a coat and wait for conditions to improve and clear the way forward.
4. Climbing the high mountain (above 1400 1500 meters) alone is not recommended and in this case you must leave clear warning of the itinerary.
5. There has been an approximate schedule of completion of each route, for a person who walks at a relaxed pace and without long stops. In some of the excursions, the distance in kilometers is not too indicative, because sometimes very great differences are overcome in few kilometers. The estimated time is more indicative in these cases.
6. The respect for the land, buildings and environment in general will help us to preserve this magnificent place in optimal conditions.
7. Adequate provision of water is necessary for all excursions.
8. In case of having any type of problem, the mobile phone can be useful, although the coverage in Picos de Europa is not total. The phone for these situations is 112 emergencies.
9. And the best recommendation of all, enjoy the mountain, breathe fresh air and admire the breathtaking scenery offered by Los Picos de Europa.